Free Crochet Baby Booties Patterns
It only takes a few minutes to make your own cotton crochet baby booties and the results are so rewarding. No matter how many gifts an expectant mother may open that holds a pair of crocheted baby booties the response is always that of sincere admiration and appreciation.
There are few pictures as sweet as that of a newborn wearing a pair of tiny handmade booties secured with a pretty snippet of satin ribbon tied in a pretty bow around his or her ankles. When you find yourself near the end of your ball of cotton crochet thread, rather than add the remnant to the growing number of balls with very few yards left in your sewing bag why not pick up a free baby bootie knitting or crochet pattern and build a stash of precious little infant shoes to have on hand as a special homemade gift for the next baby shower.
These little crochet baby booties may be made of cotton thread, silk or of wool in white or your choice of pastel colors. They work up very firm and neatly shaped to the newborn infant's foot. Our test pair was made using No. 15 cotton crochet thread. Finer or coarser thread will result in a smaller or larger shoe using the same directions.
SEE MORE HERE
Begin at sole of the crochet baby booties with a chain of 33 stitches.
1. Miss the first stitch, stitch a double in each of 31 stitches, 3 in end stitch, 1
in each of thirty one (31) stitches down other side and 3 in the last and then join.
2. A double in first stitch, 2 in the next, one (1) in each double down the side to within 2 stitches of the middle of the toe, 2 in next, 1 in next, 3 in middle
stitch, 1 in next, 2 in next, 1 in each down side, ending with 2 in 3d stitch from the middle of the heel, 1 in next, and 3 in next and then join.
3. Chain 1, a double in each of two (2) stitches, 2 in next, 1 in each down the side to within 4 of the end, 2 in next, 1 in each of 3, 3 in middle stitch, 1 in each of 3, 2 in next, 1 in each down side, 2 in 4th stitch from the end, 1 in each of 3, 2 in the middle stitch of the heel and then join.
4. Proceed exactly the same as the 3d row, making an extra stitch between the widenings.
5. Chain 4, miss 1, a treble in next stitch, chain 1; repeat, making 2 trebles with 1 chain between in each of the widenings of the toe of the crochet baby booties, and three (3) trebles, with 1 chain between, at the very back of the heel.
6. Chain 1, stitch a double crochet in each stitch all around, making two (2) doubles in the widening spaces at side of toe of the crochet baby booties and in the middle of the crocheted baby booties' heel.
7. Chain 1, make a double crochet in each stitch around, widening as usual on each side of toe and in the middle, also in the middle of heel of the crochet baby booties and then join.
8. Proceed the same as in row 7.
9. Chain 4, * miss 1, make a treble crochet in next, chain 1; repeat around and then join to 3rd of 4 chain.
10. Chain 1, make a double in each treble crochet and in the space; narrow 11 stitches from the middle of the crochet baby booties toe by putting your crochet hook through 2 stitches at once, or by missing a stitch, also at middle of toe and then join.
11, 12. Proceed the same as in the 10th row, making double in double, and narrowing as directed.
13. Same as the 11th row until you have reached the 3d narrowing on the vamp of the crochet baby booties. Then turn and work your way back across the vamp, narrowing at the end and then make your turn.
14. Chain 1, a double in each double across vamp, narrowing in the middle and at the end.
15, 17. Copy the 13th row.
16, 18. Copy the 14th row.
19. Chain 1, make a double crochet in each double, narrowing at middle of vamp and on the sides of the crochet baby booties.
20. Turn and work across top of the vamp of the crochet baby booty with a double crochet in each stitch.
21. For the upper part of the baby shoe, slip to 1st double at the side of the shoe's vamp, 2d
row back, chain 11, turn, miss 1, 10 doubles in 10 stitches, catch in 1st double of side of the shoe, a single in next double on the side of the shoe, and then turn; a double in each of nine (9) doubles, 2 in last, turn; chain 1, 2 doubles
in 1st double, 1 in each following double, join to next double of side, a single in next, turn; a double in each double of last row, with 2 at
end, turn; chain 1, a double in each of 2 doubles, chain 5, miss 5, a
double in each following double, join to next double of side, a single
in next, turn; double in each double, with 5 in 5 stitches of chain,
turn; chain 1, a double in each double; join, slip in next double of
side, turn; work 5 more rows, widening 1 stitch at end of every other
row; then chain 4, turn; miss 1, a double in each of 3 stitches and
double in each double, join, slip in next double, turn; work back with
double in each double, chain 1, turn, 2 doubles in 2 doubles, chain 5,
miss 5, double in double, join, slip in next double, turn, work back
with double in double, chain 1, turn, and work double in double around
to within 14 stitches of top of vamp on other side, turn; chain 1,
double in double to edge of flap, turn; chain 1 and make a double in
double around to the other side. Continue in the same way until you have worked 6 rows around the top of the crochet baby shoe, then form a buttonhole same as before, and then finish
with 4 rows. The design of these crochet baby booties may be made higher, if desired with more buttonholes added to accommodate the additional height.
For the buttons. Chain 3, join; 8 doubles in a ring; 2 doubles in each double; a double crochet in each double crochet; a double crochet in every other double crochet; slip in
a tiny pearl or porcelain button of appropriate size, draw the stitch together and sew the button to the shoe, taking care to match the position of the buttonholes.
Return to Unique Baby Gear, Bedding Crib Themes and Nursery Decorating Ideas to find more patterns for homemade baby clothes and free patterns for crochet baby booties.