Best Educational Nursery Themes for Baby Boys and Girls
More and more parents are choosing educational nursery themes. Even with the popularity of abstract and geometric patterns and designs designs, parents are leaning towards baby room decorating ideas that teach as well as entertain. I see this as a positive thing for an infant's development. It’s great to see that moms and dads are getting the message that it's not all about decor or the looks of the room;
it’s also about taking advantage of opportunities to teach baby cool stuff at a very early age.
It’s common practice to use themes as teaching tools from nursery school through middle schools. If a child is expected to learn according to themes and units later on, why not start establish the routine early to familiarize babies with the teaching process.
If your chosen theme is the rainforest you could have examples of the animals found in the jungle featured in pictures on the nursery walls as well as tropical designs on baby’s gear and bedroom decorations.
You could read to your child from colorful storybooks about the region as well as decorating the room with large, life size plush toys. While your baby is becoming acquainted with the enchanting animals that you’ve included in this jungle baby nursery theme, you can teach him to call them by their proper names!
Once baby reaches the toddler stage, allow him or her to choose their favorite room themes. You will be in charge of the decorations and have complete creative control over what decorative items will be included, so what’s the harm in letting a child have a hand in decorating their bedroom so long as the themes and decorating ideas are subject to your approval?
There are ways that you turn the most popular room themes into wonderful teaching tools. For example :
- Cowboy theme bedrooms could lead to history lessons about the Old West. This would be an opportunity to study the cowboys, Indians and the pioneers.
- Transportation themes could lay the groundwork for studying various methods of transportation beginning with horses and moving on to trains and airplanes.
- A Puff the Magic Dragon nursery theme lays out a lesson plan for teaching about the kings and queens and life in ancient medieval castles
- Pirate nursery themes can teach your baby about tall ships and what part famous pirates like Jean Lafitte played in winning the war of 1812
- Pick up ideas for nursery themes and decorating ideas from the local zoo. Lions, tigers and elephants are lots of fun even if you have to inform baby at some point their native habitats are in danger
The key to using baby’s room themes to the best educational advantage is to look at them not only as styles of decor but as valuable teaching tools. There are so many ways to turn time with baby into teaching sessions and decorate the baby’s bedroom as a wonderful world of discovery and preparation for the world beyond the nursery walls.
For more information on decorating the nursery and the latest baby gear, return to Unique Baby Gear, Celebrity Baby Room Themes and Decorating Ideas for articles of interest to parents with new babies.